Shimane Museum of Ancient Izumo
The Shimane Museum of Ancient Izumo is located in the Izumo area of Shimane Prefecture, which is the place of origin for many Japanese myths and legends. Izumo is also the site of a number of important ancient Japanese historical discoveries, including the most bronze swords and bells ever excavated at a single site. Some of these bronze artifacts as well as clay figures, authentic manuscripts, and woodblock prints are on display at the museum. Also located nearby is the Izumo Grand Shrine, which is believed to be one of the oldest, if not the oldest, the shrine of ancient Japanese Shintoism. The Izumo area is both unique and significant in terms of Japanese history and culture, and the Shimane Museum of Ancient Izumo is an excellent place for history fans and travelers alike to learn.
- 1.5 Hours
- Telephone Number
- Postal code
99-4 Taishacho Kizukihigashi, Izumo, Shimane
- Method of payment
- Official URL
- Recommended season
- January, February, March, April, May, June, July, August, September, October, November, December
- Business Hours
Monday･Tuesday･Wednesday･Thursday･Friday･Saturday･Sunday : 09:00~18:00
- Final admission 30 minutes before closing.
- Shorter hours between November to February: 9:00-5:00.
- Admisson Fee
JPY620 / Adult
- Student (please bring your student ID) : JPY 410
- Age 7-15: JPY 200
- Group discounts available. Please check the official site for details.
Request a guide
You can get in touch with us to find additional guides who can show you around this spot.Request
Login is required